Northern Ireland

'Dunkirk evacuation' sparked by Jet Centre cinema fire

A number of people were moved from the Jet Centre in Coleraine Image copyright Alan Robinson
Image caption A number of people were moved from the Jet Centre in Coleraine during the incident

A cinema in Coleraine, County Londonderry, has been evacuated after an electrical fire during a screening of the World War Two film Dunkirk.

The Jet Centre was evacuated briefly after a stage speaker in the cinema screen apparently short-circuited.

One filmgoer said he "noticed a glowing light behind the screen".

"I paid more attention to it and I realised it was the speaker and that it was on fire," Portadown teenager Andrew said.

"I pointed it to my dad and he didn't understand what it was - he thought it was part of the movie."

The centre was forced to close early on Tuesday night, but said it would reopen as normal on Wednesday.

Evening evacuation

Four fire engines were dispatched, but the fire was already out when they arrived.

"Following health and safety procedure, staff evacuated all areas of the complex just after 8pm," a cinema spokesperson told BBC News NI.

Image copyright Michael Hutchinson
Image caption Four fire engines were dispatched to the scene

No-one was hurt and there was no damage to the building, said a centre manager.

Customers whose entertainment was disrupted should contact the centre, added a statement.

"This turned out not to be a serious incident but we are delighted by the quick response of our staff and the care taken to ensure the safety of our customers," said Jet Centre owner Michael McAdam.

"Our procedures were followed to the letter by our staff and by the time the fire brigade arrived, everyone was out of the building."

Christopher Nolan's World War Two film, Dunkirk, tells the story of the mass evacuation of Allied troops from the northern coast of France in 1940.

Related Topics

More on this story