Northern Ireland

Businessman Nishi Ward killed in quad bike incident in Plumbridge

Nishi Ward Image copyright Ulster Herald
Image caption Nishi Ward died following the incident in Plumbridge on Thursday

Tributes have been paid to a prominent County Tyrone businessman killed in a quad bike incident.

Nishi Ward, 45, died following the incident in Plumbridge at about 17:00 GMT on Thursday.

Mr Ward was the founder and managing director of Plumbridge-based company Waste Systems.

Alastair Hamilton, chief executive of Invest Northern Ireland, said Mr Ward was "an integral part of Northern Ireland's manufacturing industry".

"Nishi was a much-respected businessman who was instrumental in the global growth of Waste Systems Ltd in Plumbridge," he said.

"His commitment to the growth and development of Waste Systems was widely admired and he will be missed by both the business and wider community in the Derry City and Strabane District Council area."

'A good man'

Fr Roland Colhoun said Mr Ward's wife and five children had been left "stunned" by his death.

"It is with great difficulty that they are getting through these days," he said.

"When a man is only 45 and his death is not anticipated, it will impact them for many years to come."

Fr Colhoun said Mr Ward was highly regarded as a businessman and entrepreneur but will be remembered primarily as "a good man."

'Endless energy'

SDLP West Tyrone MLA Daniel McCrossan said the community was in shock following Mr Ward's death.

"I knew the man well and had a meeting with him only last week," he said.

"He was a man of endless passion and energy, who was dedicated to his wife and children and had an amazing passion for life and for the local community."

He said Mr Ward's "vision, leadership and determination" had taken his business global.

"Local job creation was always at the heart of his agenda," he added.

"His death will be a serious loss to the community and to local people. It's hard to imagine."

Sinn Féin MLA Declan McAleer said there was a "palpable sense of shock" in the area.

The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland said it had launched an investigation.

"Our thoughts are with the family involved at this very difficult time," a spokeswoman said.