NI newspaper headlines: Coronavirus cancellations dominate

  • Published
coronavirus testImage source, Getty Images
Image caption,
"Coronavirus: Now it's getting serious" is the headline in the News Letter

The impact of coronavirus on Northern Ireland not surprisingly dominates the front pages on Tuesday.

"Paddy whacked" is the headline on the front of the Daily Mirror.

It reports Belfast City Council agreed on Monday night to cancel this year's St Patrick's Day Parade and concert due to the virus.

The paper says the move came as the Republic of Ireland cancelled all of its parades, a move it says will deal a multi-million euro blow to the economy.

"Coronavirus: Now it's getting serious," says the News Letter.

It says Health Minister Robin Swann has warned between 50% and 80% of people in Northern Ireland could ultimately be affected.

"This is not going to get easier any time soon," he said.

Image caption,
Mr Swann warned between 50% and 80% of people in NI could ultimately be affected

The paper also features former boxing promoter and bookmaker Barney Eastwood, who died on Monday aged 87.

The Irish News has the same two stories on its front page.

It says a west Belfast GAA club and two County Armagh schools have closed to allow their premises to be deep cleaned.

The paper also says the White House is believed to have advised foreign officials not to visit Washington DC.

Politicians from both Northern Ireland and the Republic are due to visit there over the weekend.

Image source, Pacemaker
Image caption,
Barney Eastwood and Barry McGuigan return to Belfast after winning the world featherweight title in 1985

Reporting on Mr Eastwood's death, The Irish News quotes its photographer Hugh Russell - a former professional boxer.

He says Mr Eastwood was "probably the most honest man I have ever met" in the sport.

The Belfast Telegraph features pictures of a school closed for deep cleaning, a St Patrick's Day Parade and supermarket shelves in Belfast largely stripped of toilet roll.

It describes coronavirus as a "deepening crisis".

It also says the public has been urged not to steal hand sanitisers after several portable pumps went missing from healthcare centres in the South Eastern Trust.

'Appalling' criminal record

In non-coronavirus news, the News Letter reports a 45-year-old man with an "absolutely appalling" criminal record has been jailed after being caught driving while disqualified for the 27th time.

Brian Emmerson, from Old Forge Lane in Newtownards, appeared at Belfast Crown Court with 178 previous convictions.

Image source, Psni/family
Image caption,
Padraig Fox was killed at a flat in Newcastle in December 2018

The family of a County Down mother of a vulnerable man killed in an unprovoked 2018 attack tells The Irish News she "died when they took her baby", as they make arrangements for her funeral.

Marie Magee, 57, died of a suspected heart attack on Saturday at Downe Hospital in Downpatrick, where she had been cared for since December.

Her daughters Francine and Stacey Fox said she never recovered from the brutal killing of her 29-year-old son Padraig.

Image source, Rossographer/Geograph
Image caption,
Barry's Amusements has been a fixture of the north coast for 93 years

Finally there is some good news for those who remember summer nights on the big dipper, dodgems and ghost train.

The Belfast Telegraph says traders in Portrush have welcomed news that amusement arcade Barry's will be open for the summer season.

The north coast tourist attraction was put up for sale as a going concern last autumn.

The Trufelli family who own it say they have had "strong interest" from potential buyers.