Derry assault: Murder attempt accused granted bail

Londonderry Magistrates Court
Image caption Andrew Carlin appeared at Londonderry Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

A man charged with attempted murder following an assault in Londonderry which left the victim in a critical condition has been granted bail.

Andrew Carlin, 23, from Amelia Court, Derry, appeared at Londonderry Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

He is also accused of wounding the man with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm and possessing a knife.

Mr Carlin is further charged with aggravated burglary and stealing a mobile phone.

The charges are connected to an assault in the Cornshell Fields area of the city on 2 December 2019.

A police officer told the court that police received a 999 call from a woman in Cornshell Fields who said the defendant had stabbed a man in the early hours of 2 December.

The officer said a female witness said two men, with their faces partially covered, had forced their way into the victim's house.

The witness said the defendant was armed with either a sword or machete and that he struck the victim in the stomach, the court was told.

Both men then ran out of the house and left the estate in a car driven by a third man.

The officer told the court that police had been trying to locate the defendant since the incident.

He said the defendant was on licence following a conviction for violent offences in 2014 and depending on the outcome of the new charges, his licence could be revoked.

Applying for bail, a defence solicitor said there was neither forensic nor reliable identification evidence against the defendant.

Deputy District Judge Liam McStay released the defendant on bail of £500 together with a surety of £750.

He said he was not satisfied that the police had been actively seeking the defendant nor was he satisfied that the defendant had been evading the police

Mr Carlin must continue to reside at his home address and is banned from consuming alcohol or illegal drugs as part of his bail conditions.

He must also wear an electronic tag, and stay out of the Cornshell Fields and Leafair Park areas of Derry.

He is to appear in court again on March 12.