More than 25,000 people have taken part in a torchlight procession in Edinburgh to kick off the city's New Year festival.
The event, which started at Parliament Square, marks the beginning of a four-day celebration.
Organisers said the numbers of people attending Thursday night's event had been "record-breaking".
Fireworks started the procession, which went down The Mound, along Princes Street to Calton Hill.
A light and firework show then took place on Calton Hill as a Viking longship was burned.
About 5,000 of those attending had been torch carriers.
The event comes ahead of Edinburgh's street party on Princes Street where 80,000 are expected to gather to see in the New Year on Friday.
Emergency services and the city council have issued a number of guidelines warning revellers to stay safe, be sensible and keep warm and dry during the celebrations.
Pete Irvine, artistic director of Edinburgh's Hogmanay, said: "It's great to start the four days of Edinburgh's Hogmanay with a record-breaking crowd for the Torchlight Procession.
"We've started the New Year celebrations around the world and shown people that Edinburgh once again is the place to be for Hogmanay."
Send your pictures of the procession to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 31 December 2010
- 29 December 2010
- 16 October 2010
- 28 September 2010