Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Workers in hospital after Clermiston House ammonia leak

Fridge
Image caption The ammonia leak came from a fridge at the care home

Two female care workers have been taken to hospital following an ammonia leak from a fridge at an elderly home in Edinburgh.

The pair were overcome by fumes, along with another female colleague who was treated at the scene, at Clermiston House in Parkgrove Terrace.

Seven of the 41 residents were evacuated into their day centre just after 04:00.

Fire crews had cleaned up the spill and vented the home by about 06:00.

Ammonia gas is used in some fridges to absorb heat.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites