Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Harvey Frost jailed for life for murdering Craig Stewart

Harvey Frost
Image caption Harvey Frost admitted murdering his neighbour

A man who admitted murdering his Edinburgh neighbour in a knife attack within hours of meeting him has been jailed for life.

Harvey Frost, 47, will have to serve 14 years before he can apply for parole.

Frost hugged Craig Stewart, 24, and said "love you man" before returning from his kitchen armed with a knife and stabbing him in the chest.

Mr Stewart died in hospital eight days after the attack at Frost's home in Magdalene Drive on 10 February 2013.

During a previous appearance at the High Court in Edinburgh, Frost had admitted murdering Mr Stewart.

Passing sentence, judge Lord Jones said: "This was a senseless killing without apparent motive which took place in your home."

He said the victim's family had been robbed of an adored brother and son and the crime has had "a truly devastating effect".

After sentencing the victim's mother Karen Cairns, 44, said: "He has stolen my son. He had no right to steal my son.

"Craig was just so young and I am never going to be a granny. I am never going to see him getting married.

"I was there for his first breath. I should not have been there for his last breath," she said.

Image caption Mr Stewart died in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary

Mr Stewart's brother Russell, 26, said: "What really hurts is the last person to say he loved him killed him."

Advocate depute Douglas Fairley QC earlier told the court Frost and Mr Stewart lived in next door flats but did not know each other before the incident.

Mr Stewart had been having a drink with his flatmates, Dean Robertson and Lauren Andrews, in the early evening of 9 February.

He later went outside to get some air before coming back into the flat with Frost, who he introduced to Mr Robertson, saying: "This is my neighbour. I've just met him."

Frost later stood up to go home after indicating he did not want to overstay his welcome.

Mr Fairley told the court: "As the accused was unsteady on his feet, the deceased and Robertson took him next door to his own flat."

Frost invited them in for a drink. He then went to the kitchen and returned expressionless but holding a knife, and walked over to where Mr Stewart was sitting on a couch and stabbed him in the chest, inflicting a heart wound.

Mr Stewart underwent emergency surgery but a later scan showed features consistent with brain injury.

Defence solicitor advocate John Scott QC said Frost's behaviour was "totally out of character" for him.

He added that it was "a sad and puzzling" case. "He bitterly regrets what happened. He is desperately sorry for what he did," said Mr Scott.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites