Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Grant Farquhar jailed for attacking three girls in Edinburgh

A teenager who sexually assaulted three girls in Edinburgh has been jailed for four years.

Grant Farquhar, 18, subjected the girls, who are aged between 13 to 15, to a series of sexual attacks between May 2012 and December 2012.

He attacked the young women, who cannot be named for legal reasons, at various addresses in the city.

Passing sentence temporary judge Michael O'Grady QC told Farquhar he had no option but to send him to prison.

He also ordered that Farquhar be supervised by the authorities for four years following his release from prison

Farquhar sexually assaulted one 15-year-old year old girl underneath a stunt ramp at the South Edinburgh skate park in the city's Southhouse Crescent.

'Accepting responsibility'

The High Court in Edinburgh also heard how he sexually assaulted another 15-year-old girl and a 13-year-old girl at various addresses in the Edinburgh area between November and December 2012.

The court also heard how he bombarded two 13-year-old girls, who also cannot be named, with a series of "shockingly explicit texts" and Facebook messages.

Judge O'Grady said: "It is clear that these charges are greatly concerning. It is quite clear that you have a preference for sexual activity with females younger than yourself.

"The background report also shows that you have little insight into accepting responsibility.

"I must impose a significant period of custody to protect young women."

Last month a jury took four hours to find Farquhar guilty of charges of sexual assault, having sex with underage girls and sending sexually explicit and offensive communications.

Farquhar, a prisoner of the Young Offenders Institute in Polmont, Stirlingshire, had entered pleas of not guilty to the charges.

He was also acquitted of rape and physical assault charges. He was also acquitted of a charge which alleged he repeatedly sexually assaulted a 16-year-old boy, who also cannot be identified, at various locations in Edinburgh between December 2010 and August 2012.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites