Cat dies in spate of poisonings in Midlothian
A cat has died and three others have fallen ill during a spate of poisonings in Midlothian.
The incidents have taken place in and around Fifth Street in Newtongrange over the last month, with the most recent happening on Monday.
The Scottish SPCA has launched an investigation and urged pet owners in the area to be "extremely vigilant".
It said it did not know whether the poisonings were due to a deliberate act or an accidental spillage.
Poisoning symptoms include vomiting, lethargy and in the latter stages, head-shaking and coma, which ultimately results in renal failure and death.
Source of poison
Emma Phillips, of the Scottish SPCA, said: "We are concerned by the number of incidents which have been reported to us over a short space of time and in a very small location.
"This suggests there is a source of poison lying out in the area which cats have ready access to."
She said the cat involved in the incident on Monday had died.
"The vet who examined this cat said it showed advanced, untreatable symptoms associated with poisoning and we are now in the process of having a post-mortem examination carried out on the body to confirm the cause of death," she added.
"Meanwhile, we are urging local cat owners to be extremely vigilant while we investigate this matter.
"At this early stage we do not know whether the poisonings are the result of a deliberate act or an accidental spillage so we are appealing to local residents to contact us if they have any information in relation to these concerning incidents."