Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Andrew Miller jailed over attacks on women

A man has been jailed for 11 years for carrying out a rape and a number of sexual assaults on one woman and attacking another.

Andrew Miller, 36, from Kirkcaldy, kicked, punched and threatened the first woman in the Gilmerton area of Edinburgh during 1998 and 1999.

His second victim was attacked between 1999 and 2013 in Edinburgh, Kinghorn, Burntisland and Kirkcaldy.

She was raped, sexually assaulted and Miller threatened to kill her.

He was assessed as posing a "very high risk" to others and Judge Lord Brailsford told him: "There is an incomplete insight into the gravity of your offending and the effect it has had on the victims."

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that Miller had an extensive criminal record that extended throughout his adult life.

Victim pregnant

Miller earlier told his trial: "I am a criminal. I admit to doing bad things, but I am not a rapist."

The court heard that he repeatedly threatened, punched, kicked, slapped and dragged his first victim by the hair.

He threatened to kill the second woman and tried to strangle her. He also threatened to take her children away from her.

During the assaults she was repeatedly punched and kicked. She was slapped and dragged by the hair and her head was hit against a parked car. Miller also flicked a lit cigarette at her.

The victim was pregnant when some of the assaults happened.

The jury heard that Miller also raped the woman and carried out a sex attack on her in 2011 during which she was pushed to the floor and her trousers were ripped off.

He also threatened to kill her, put a knife against her neck and punched and slapped her.

The woman suffered broken ribs and a black eye.

Miller had denied sexually assaulting the woman but told jurors he had slapped and punched her.

Drug problems

Advocate depute Douglas Fairley QC put it to Miller that nobody liked sex offenders in prison and the one thing he would never admit to was a sexual assault.

He replied: "Because it never happened."

The prosecutor accused Miller of being a "bully, a coward and a liar".

Miller told police: "There is no need for a guy to hit a lassie. Full stop."

Miller also breached bail conditions by sending messages to the victim on a social networking site after he was freed at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court in 2013.

Defence counsel Brian McConnachie QC said of Miller: "From his previous convictions, he is a man who is no stranger to imprisonment."

But the defence counsel added that his previous offending did not include sex crimes.

He said drugs had been "a major issue" for Miller and his life had been blighted by abusing them.

Lord Brailsford also ordered that Miller should be kept under supervision for a further two years.