Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Rapist Mark Greer given lifelong restriction order

Mark Greer Image copyright Police handout

A 39-year-old man has been given a lifelong restriction order for raping two women in Fife.

Mark Greer, from Ballingry, was last August found guilty of raping and assaulting one woman in Cowdenbeath and raping another woman in Lochgelly.

The offences were committed between 1999 and 2013.

At the High Court in Edinburgh, Lord Burns told Greer he could not apply for parole for at least six years and he was put on the sex offenders register.

The court heard that medical experts had concluded that Greer was a psychopath.

During proceedings, the court heard how he claimed to police: "I have never raped anybody."

Supplied heroin

Greer raped his first victim on an occasion between 1 January 2001 and 31 January 2005.

He sexually assaulted his second victim on an occasion between 1 December 2010 and 31 August 2011.

One rape victim told the court that Greer hit her so she would cry. The woman told the jury that if she said what he was doing was sore, he thought it was funny.

The court heard how the 42-year-old woman was punched, pushed, thrown onto a unit and a bed by Greer who pushed his fingers into her throat.

During one incident, he threatened to murder her and tried to strangle her.

During her testimony, the woman said: "I am ashamed. I am embarrassed. I am humiliated that everybody is listening now."

The other victim, aged 38, told the court she started taking drugs with Greer, who supplied her with heroin.

The court heard that the woman became addicted and was subjected to sexual abuse.

'Systematic abuse'

Greer was also convicted of being involved in the supply of heroin.

On Monday, the court heard that medical experts concluded that Greer was a psychopath who was unable to understand his victims' plights.

Defence solicitor advocate Gordon Martin told Lord Burns that his client remained convinced he did not attack the women.

Mr Martin added: "He maintains his position of innocence."

Speaking after the hearing, Det Insp John Anderson said: "Greer's actions were traumatic for his victims and his systematic abuse over a number of years was depraved.

"I'd like to thank the victims for their courage in coming forward and their assistance throughout the investigation. Although nothing can undo his actions, I hope it provides them and their families with some sense of closure."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites