BBC News

Teenage girl punched and killed man in Glasgow

image captionPaul Woods died after suffering a serious head injury

A teenage girl has admitted killing a father-of-two in Glasgow with a single punch after he chased her friend who had just stolen his alcohol.

Kayleigh Murray, 19, from Shettleston, admitted the culpable homicide of 29-year-old Paul Woods in the city's Maryhill Road, on 28 July.

Co-accused Chelsea Speirs, 19, from Springboig, admitted robbing Mr Woods of a bag containing alcohol.

Sentence on both teenagers was deferred, at the High Court in Glasgow.

Both women were originally charged with murder, but the Crown accepted their pleas to reduced charges.

The court heard how Mr Woods had stopped to buy drink at a local shop as he and a friend walked home from watching Celtic's match against Braga in a Glasgow pub.

Victim punched

As he was waiting outside the shop he was approached by Speirs who, on seeing the bag containing alcohol, said: "Whit's that you've got there?"

She then attempted to grab the bag and a struggle ensued which ended with Ms Speirs walking off with the bag.

Mr Woods then attempted to go after Speirs, and as he did so Murray walked up to him and punched him on the right cheek.

This caused him to fall backwards and strike the left side of his head off the road.

image captionMurray and Speirs will be sentenced in February

Mr Woods immediately lost consciousness and did not move again.

The court was told that Speirs handed the bag to either Murray or another friend standing beside her.

Murray said she had knocked Mr Woods out, and she and the other girl walked away and boarded a bus.

Regulars from the nearby Maryhill Tavern tried to help Mr Woods and flagged down a passing police car.

Speirs remained at the scene until the police arrived and became upset shouting: "I think he's dead."

The court heard that Mr Woods, who suffered a blood clot on his brain, was operated on at the Southern General Hospital but died on 29 July.

A post-mortem examination revealed that the cause of death was internal bleeding in the brain.

The court heard that Murray has a previous conviction for assault to injury and was on probation when she killed Mr Woods.

Speirs, who has previous convictions for assault and robbery and assault, was also on probation at the time.

Judge Lord Pentland deferred sentence for background reports. He will sentence them in February next year.