Glasgow & West Scotland

Third man jailed over Andrew Curran murder in Glasgow

Andrew Curran
Image caption Andrew Curran died of a sword wound to the neck

A man has been jailed for seven years for his part in the murder of a man who was killed in front of his sons during a pre-arranged fight in Glasgow.

Steven Souley, 21, was convicted of culpable homicide following the fatal attack on 41-year-old Andrew Curran in the city's Maryhill Park last April.

The High Court in Glasgow heard how he died from a sword wound to the neck.

Angus Malavin, 26, and his 17-year-old brother Zak were previously jailed for life for Mr Curran's murder.

Judge Lord Matthews ordered Angus Malavin to serve a minimum of 18 years while his younger brother will be detained for at least 17 years.

Crossbow attack

Sentencing Souley on Wednesday, the judge said he was satisfied the 21-year-old did not strike Mr Curran, but had still associated himself with what went on.

At their trial in November, all three men were also convicted of assaulting Mr Curran's friend James McGregor, 50, by striking him on the body with a sword and shooting his body with a crossbow, causing severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

The court heard that trouble began when Andrew Curran junior's friend Paul Brown urinated on a bottle of alcohol belonging to Zac Malavin.

Image caption Mr Curran was killed during a fight in Maryhill Park

After this incident Zac Malavin stabbed Mr Brown and Andrew Curran Jr, although the matter was not reported to the police, and tried to run down Mr Curran Jr with a car.

Mr Curran Sr become involved when he tried to sort out the problem by telephoning the Malavins.

He spoke to Angus Malavin, who said that anyone who went near his brother was getting a bullet in the head.

Both sides agreed to meet in Maryhill Park on the evening of 16 April 2010 and the court was told that some were armed.

Mr Curran went there with friends and his sons and the Malavins headed to the park with friends.

Both sides clashed near the running track, during which Mr Curran was stabbed in the neck and stomach.

The Malavin brothers and Souley had denied killing Mr Curran and claimed they were acting in self defence and that it was the other group who were the aggressors.

The Malavins were convicted of his murder, while Souley was found guilty of culpable homicide for his part in the attack.

It was reported earlier this week that Andrew Curran Jr was seriously assaulted in Glasgow's Summerston area.

His condition was described as serious but stable.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites