Glasgow & West Scotland

Gilgannon attempted murder case hears baby death fears

High Court in Glasgow generic
Image caption The case is being heard at the High Court in Glasgow

A mother has told a court that she thought her one-year-old daughter was dead as she cradled her in her arms on the way to hospital.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was giving evidence at the High Court in Glasgow where Andrew Gilgannon, 23, denies attempted murder.

The 21-year-old said her daughter had trouble breathing and turned pale after being left in Mr Gilgannon's care.

He is accused of trying to kill the child at a house in Irvine in 2009.

The court heard that the youngster was rushed to hospital and had to have an emergency operation to remove part of her skull after Mr Gilgannon allegedly attacked her.

The witness told jurors her daughter was in hospital for six weeks after the incident and now wears a skull cap to protect her brain and has limited use of her left arm and leg.

Mr Gilgannon, of Dickson Drive, Irvine, denies attempting to murder the girl by repeatedly shaking her and throwing her into her cot on 30 September 2009.

'Something was wrong'

The mum told the court that she had gone to the shops and left Mr Gilgannon looking after the child.

She claimed that she received a phone call from him saying that the child would not stop crying.

She said she told him to put her into her cot to see if that would settle her.

The witness said that when she returned home, Mr Gilgannon was standing with the girl in his arms.

She said: "I just knew something was wrong so I grabbed her and ran out to the street to get help.

"She had a pale face. She was breathing but she would stop and catch her breath and then stop breathing again."

The court heard that a neighbour saw the woman out in the street and offered to drive them to the hospital.

The witness said that she sat in the back of the car cradling her daughter in her arms.

Prosecutor Alison Di Rollo asked the woman how her daughter looked in the car going to the hospital.

She replied: "I didn't think she was alive to be honest."

Ms Di Rollo said: "You thought your daughter was dead?"

The woman replied: "Yes."

The woman told the court that when they got to hospital, the child had to have the left part of her skull removed because of a blood clot.

The witness also claimed that at the time of the incident, Mr Gilgannon told her that he had put the girl to bed and then heard a bang 10-15 minutes later.

She said: "He said he went upstairs and found her fitting in her cot.

"I remember him saying that he washed her down and put her jammies on her trying to bring her round."

However, the witness claimed that he later confessed to her on bonfire night after he had been drinking.

She added: "He said 'it was me, it was me that put your wean in hospital'".

The woman told the court that she went to the police the next day and told them what he had said.

Jurors were shown photographs of the youngster just after her operation when she was unable to open her eyes.

A video was also played to the court showing the child playing with her toys in October last year.

The girl is still wearing her skull cap and struggles to use her left arm and leg in the footage.

Mr Gilgannon has lodged a special defence incriminating the girl's grandparents and other family members.

The trial, before Judge Lord Kinclaven, continues.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites