Major industrial blaze in Cleland 'under control'
A large blaze at an industrial unit in Lanarkshire has been brought under control by firefighters.
A 200m exclusion zone had been set up after it was discovered that gas cylinders were being stored in a unit at the site.
The fire broke out at the Biggar Road Industrial Estate in Cleland at about 1340 BST.
At the height of the blaze, there were seven Strathclyde Fire And Rescue appliances at the scene.
No-one was injured and the 50m-long building was believed to have been empty.
Incident Commander Gary Wallace said: "This was a major blaze in a large industrial unit. Additional worries for us were the three acetylene cylinders on site, the roof, which was confirmed as asbestos, and a 1,000 litre diesel tank.
"These additional issues saw us setting up a 200 metre exclusion zone and required residents to be evacuated from nearby homes.
"That exclusion zone has now been lifted and residents have been escorted back to their homes."
He added: "This has been a difficult operation in part because of the considerable limitations of the water supply and our appliances have had to relay water back from the main street."
Mr Wallace said fire crews were expected to be at the site for some time.
Earlier, local resident David Young said: "One of the warehouses has gone up. It's massive - there's a lot of smoke and it can be seen for miles."