Glasgow & West Scotland

Jordan McCready on bail when he murdered 13-year-old Jon Wilson

Image caption Jon Wilson's family organised a march in his memory after he was murdered

A violent teenager who battered a 13-year-old boy to death in Kilmarnock was out on bail at the time of the murder, it has emerged.

Jordan McCready, 17, from Dreghorn, killed Jon Wilson as the youngster made his way home on 4 September 2011.

He faces a mandatory life term after admitting a charge of murder last week.

It has now emerged McCready was freed under curfew just five days before he killed Jon after carrying out an earlier assault on two police officers.

Last week, the High Court in Glasgow heard how McCready - who had been drinking vodka and Buckfast, and taken valium pills - attacked Jon near Kilmarnock's Queen's Drive as the youngster headed home from a friend's house in the early hours of the morning.

Murder threat

The second year Kilmarnock Academy pupil was rushed to hospital suffering from significant head injuries.

He was found to have irreversible brain damage and died on 5 September.

McCready later boasted to his cousin that "we just pounded the life" out of someone.

Image caption The attack happened near Queen's Drive in the early hours of 4 September 2011

When he was arrested, he shouted to police: "If he gets out of intensive care, I'm going to murder him. I'm only 16. I'll do two year in Polmont for attempt murder."

McCready also claimed he was "glad" he had "done him in" and that he had been owed money.

He also told how he had "jumped up and down on a boy's head".

McCready added: "We were walking to Asda, my pals seen him. I dragged him down a lane and battered the life out of him."

McCready also admitted slashing a stranger and robbing a teenager of his mobile phone after the killing.

The 17-year-old appeared at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court on Tuesday in relation to an earlier assault.

During the hearing, it emerged that when McCready was 16 he appeared at the same court on 10 August 2011.

Bail curfew

At that hearing he admitted repeatedly punching a special constable in the face, causing injury, and punching a police constable, the previous day.

At the time of the assaults on the policemen, McCready had also been subject to a curfew order and two separate bail orders.

His sentence was then deferred until 30 August 2011 for background reports and he was remanded in custody after bail was refused.

When he made his second appearance, Sheriff Brian Murphy deferred sentence and granted defence solicitor David McSorley's request for bail.

McCready was freed on a 19:00-07:00 curfew but he murdered Jon five days later.

McCready made his latest appearance from custody before Sheriff Alistair Watson, who further deferred sentence until next month for Sheriff Murphy to deal with the case.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites