Four Royal Alexandra Hospital vomiting bug patients die
Four patients being treated for diarrhoea and vomiting at a hospital in the west of Scotland have died.
Two people suffering from the norovirus stomach bug died just before the weekend at the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley.
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said there had now been another two deaths. The deaths were caused by underlying medical conditions.
Strict infection control measures have been put in place.
Eight wards at the hospital are not admitting new patients because of the bug.
The health board said 34 patients were now showing symptoms
Both the latest deaths were due to underlying medical conditions, although diarrhoea and vomiting was a contributory factor in one.
Consultant microbiologist, Dr Teresa Inkster said: "Our deepest sympathies are with the families at this time.
"Strict infection control measures are in place throughout the hospital and I would like to remind hospital visitors of the importance of hand hygiene when entering and leaving hospital premises."
Relatives and visitors who have experienced any symptoms within the past 48 hours were urged not to visit the hospital.
Several other hospitals across Scotland have been forced to close wards in the past weeks because of norovirus outbreaks.