Glasgow & West Scotland

Funeral held for Celtic and Hibs legend Joe McBride

Joe McBride
Image caption Joe McBride was part of Celtic's European Cup-winning squad

Hundreds of people have attended the funeral of former Celtic, Hibernian and Motherwell striker Joe McBride.

The footballer, who missed the club's European Cup triumph in 1967 through injury, died last week, aged 74, after suffering a stroke.

Members of the Lisbon Lions squad, including Billy McNeill and Bertie Auld, attended the service at St Dominic's Church in Bishopbriggs.

McBride earned two Scotland caps and also played for Dunfermline and Clyde.

His son, also Joe McBride, a first-team coach at Cardiff City football club, was a pallbearer at the requiem mass.

Irish blessing

Mourners included former Celtic player Tosh McKinlay, the club's chief executive Peter Lawwell and former Rangers defender Sandy Jardine.

The packed-out funeral service saw people standing in the doorway of the 500-capacity church.

Image caption McBride was one of the most prolific scorers in Celtic's history

A black and white picture of McBride during his playing days at Celtic featured on the order of service.

It ended with an Irish blessing being read out: "May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, the rains fall soft upon your fields and, until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand."

The striker, who was born in Glasgow's Govan area, started his career with Kilmarnock and went on to spend an unsuccessful time in England at Wolves and Luton.

This led to him moving to Partick Thistle and then Motherwell where he was top goalscorer for three seasons in a row.

He is best known for his goalscoring exploits at Celtic between 1965 and 1968, hitting the back of the net 86 times in 94 games.

He won two league titles and two league cups at Celtic but did not play in the Lisbon Lions side which became the first British team to win the European Cup in 1967.

McBride had been injured in the December of that season, which ruled him out of the rest of the season, although he had already scored 35 goals in just 26 games.

After never regaining a regular place at Celtic, he moved to Hibs where he was the club's top goalscorer for two seasons.

He ended his playing career in 1972 after short spells with Dunfermline and Clyde.

McBride died on 11 July after suffering a stroke at his home in Glasgow. His family asked for any donations to be given to Marie Curie Hospice.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites