Glasgow & West Scotland

McCready and MacKenzie face jail over £821,000 amphetamine haul

Two men are facing lengthy jail terms after being caught with amphetamine with a street value of £821,000.

Richard McCready, 28, and 62-year-old Marshall MacKenzie were arrested during separate raids which targeted an organised crime gang.

At the High Court in Glasgow, both men admitted being involved in the supply of the drug between November 2011 and February this year.

Judge Lord Bracadale deferred sentence on both and remanded them in custody.

Advocate depute Murdo McTaggart, prosecuting, told the court: "The involvement of the accused in the supplying of amphetamine was discovered as a result of ongoing surveillance by the Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency (SCDEA) engaged on a wider operation targeted at an organised crime group."

Motorway stop

During the course of the investigation, MacKenzie was followed from his then home in Balloch to Motherwell.

He was observed making a phone call and minutes later McCready drove to collect MacKenzie and took him to Netherwood Tower, Motherwell.

McCready was seen entering the block of flats and minutes later returned with a black rucksack.

MacKenzie took the bag and drove off in his own car. He was later stopped by police on the M74 motorway.

The bag was searched and found to contain 1.8 kilos of amphetamine in paste form.

Police then searched MacKenzie's family home in Balloch and found a rucksack on top of a wardrobe in his bedroom which contained £4,900.

MacKenzie's Volkswagen camper van, which was parked in the driveway, was also searched and a carrier bag containing amphetamine paste and a set of scales was discovered.

He told police he had collected amphetamine previously and had been given instructions on how to mix the drugs.

MacKenzie said he got £200 for collecting the drugs and would have received a further £200 for mixing the amphetamine.

Accused 'in fear'

Mr McTaggart said: "Mr MacKenzie was fully co-operative, save when he declined to name the two men at the top of the operation.

"It is accepted, based on intelligence gathered during the wider SCDEA operation, that these are men he was entitled to fear."

McCready was detained in Brandon Street, Motherwell. Police searched a flat at Netherwood Tower, Motherwell, where they believed he lived, and found five heat-sealed packages.

They also found a food mixer, a mixing bowl and a vacuum bag sealer system.

Mr McTaggart said: "The drugs Richard McCready had in his possession were of a quality which would be passed on to another member of the operation to carry out the cutting process."

Sentence on McCready, from Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, and MacKenzie, from Bonhill, West Dunbartonshire, was deferred until next month for reports.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites