Glasgow & West Scotland

Spartak Moscow fans sentenced for fighting before Celtic match

A Russian lawyer has been sentenced to 12 days in prison for fighting with Celtic fans before last week's Champion's League match in Glasgow.

Alexsey Filatov, 36, admitted breach of the peace and resisting arrest over the incident in the city's Fielden Street.

Co-accused Alexey Fedorov, 22, a bank clerk from Russia, was also sentenced to 12 days after he admitted breaching the peace and assaulting police.

Both men were released after their sentences were backdated to 6 December.

They were due to be sentenced next month but Glasgow Sheriff Court was told that the hearing was accelerated at the behest of the Russian Embassy.

'Serious offence'

Sheriff Charles McFarlane QC told the pair: "Whilst Alexsey Filatov committed on the face of it a more serious offence than Alexey Fedorov, I am going to deal with both of you equally.

"Rather than admonish you both, I am imposing a sentence for a period of imprisonment each of 12 days which has the effect that you will be released today."

He also imposed an 18-month football banning order in the UK on each accused.

Four other men, Evgeny Morozov, Vladamir Chiscyakov, Gorgy Morozov, Valery Grishko were given Football Banning Orders for fighting with rival fans.

Chiscyakov is a 27-year-old surgeon who specialises in abdominal surgery.

The court was told that at about 19:00 on the evening of the match, police followed a group of 50 to 60 Spartak Moscow supporters from Merchant City to Celtic Park.

The fans crossed the road to a burger van, where a crowd of about 40 Celtic fans were standing. The groups "squared up" to each other and were shouting and singing.

Punches thrown

Police got between the two sets of fans before Filatov threw several punches at the Celtic supporters.

Two police officers pulled him back and attempted to arrest him for breaching the peace but he struggled violently.

The court was told that police attempted to force a group of Celtic supporters back. Fedorov was seen throwing punches at the fans and kicked a police officer.

Solicitor advocate Liam O'Donnell, representing Filatov, told the court his client graduated as a corporate lawyer in 1998 and had travelled to London first before making his way to Glasgow.

He said Filatov had not been part of the group and was going to see the match on his own, but joined the group of fellow supporters because he "felt intimidated" by the Celtic fans.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites