Glasgow & West Scotland

Chemical spill alert at Victoria Infirmary in Glasgow

Two NHS staff have been treated in accident and emergency after a chemical spill at Glasgow's Victoria Infirmary.

The men raised the alarm after some chemicals spilled while being moved, between the fourth and fifth floors of the hospital at about 10:00.

One of them is thought to have been splashed in the eyes.

Fire crews sealed the stairs and samples were taken before the incident was handed over to hospital staff for cleaning. No wards were evacuated.

Jim McNeil, the senior fire service officer at the incident, said: "Two staff members were moving a small quantity of chemicals within the hospital stairway when a slight spillage occurred.

Hazardous materials

"The NHS staff did exactly what they should - they immediately broke the glass auto-alarm, which informed our operations control at Johnstone and mobilised three appliances.

"Firefighters arrived in four minutes and controlled access to the stairwell. The incident was between the fourth and fifth floors."

Group manager Mr McNeil said a fire service hazardous materials officer and a Glasgow Scientific Services adviser gathered samples from the scene.

They confirmed that "the quantities involved were very, very low".

He added: "With it being so localised and the stairwell sealed off there was no need to evacuate wards.

"The incident was scaled down and handed over to NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde for their staff to clean up using their own procedures."

The two men transporting the liquid were immediately given treatment in the hospital's accident and emergency department, with one thought to have been splashed in the eyes.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites