Glasgow & West Scotland

Javaid Ali murder trial: Stabbed shopkeeper made 999 call

Javaid Ali
Image caption Mr Ali died in hospital after being stabbed in his shop in Paisley

An emergency operator has told a murder trial how a fatally injured shopkeeper said he had been stabbed in the neck.

Spencer Anderson told the High Court in Glasgow that during the 999 call Javaid Ali said he was "bleeding badly".

Customer Eileen Meechan also told the court she saw blood was coming out of Mr Ali's neck "like a fountain".

Both were giving evidence in the trial of Lee Anderson who denies murdering Mr Ali by stabbing him at Sunshine Grocers, Paisley, in June last year.

The 48-year-old died in hospital almost two weeks later.

Mr Anderson, 37, told the court that he took the emergency call from Mr Ali at 17:07 on 15 June last year.

Neck wound

The witness said: "He said he had been stabbed in the neck and was bleeding badly."

The operator said that the call cut off and he tried unsuccessfully three times to call Mr Ali back.

At the same time one of his colleagues received a 999 call from a customer who had gone into the shop in Green Road, Paisley, and found Mr Ali seriously injured.

Ms Meechan, 48, sobbed as she told prosecutor John Scullion that blood was coming out of Mr Ali's neck.

She said that when she walked into the shop there was nothing untoward and no signs of any disturbance.

The witness told the jury she went into the store to buy a top-up for her gas meter card and said Mr Ali was at the back of the store on his phone and staring at her.

Ms Meechan told the court she jokingly told him to get off the phone and serve her but seconds later he collapsed.

At first she said she thought he was joking but then saw blood coming from his neck.

Ms Meechan said: "I noticed the blood was coming out of his neck like a fountain.

"I ran out the shop and then ran back in and phoned an ambulance."

Money owed

Ms Meechan described Mr Ali as an outgoing character who always chatted to his customers.

She said that he would give customers goods on credit and also loaned money to them.

She said he told her he was owed £1,000 by one person.

Ms Meechan, who has a 25-year-old son Christopher Donnelly, was asked by defence QC Brian McConnachie: "After this incident in 2012, Paisley and the area round Green Road was rife with rumours about who had committed this crime," and she replied: "Yes."

Mr McConnachie then said: "One of the names that cropped up in these rumours was your son," and she replied: "Yes."

Another regular customer Joanne Haveron, 52, a domestic cleaner, from Paisley, who came into the shop minutes after Ms Meechan said that she put a nappy on Mr Ali's neck to stem the flow of blood.

She added: "He was sitting with his hand on his neck. He had an injury to the left hand side of his neck.

"I moved his hand away and put the nappy on his neck."

Ms Haveron said she then left the shop to find someone to help.

She wept as she said: "I was scared, shocked and upset. I've never dealt with anything like that before."

The court heard that she asked a man walking along Green Road to come and help and he went into the shop and applied pressure to the wound with the nappy until paramedics arrived.

Customer help

Shop customer Alan Nimmo, 34, from Paisley, said that he tried to comfort Mr Ali as he lay bleeding with a large wound to his neck.

Mr Nimmo said Mr Ali was sitting slumped in the back area of the shop.

He added: "At first I thought he looked alright, then I looked again and I thought: 'Oh no', when I saw the hole in the side of his neck."

Mr Nimmo said that Mr Ali made a kind of gurgling noise and added: "I said: 'Who done this to you Jav, You're going to make it."

He told the court he got a nappy and put it in the wound in Mr Ali's neck to stem the blood.

Mr Nimmo, a regular customer at Sunshine Grocers, told the court that in the two months before Mr Ali was stabbed he was selling cannabis to some of his customers, including him.

Paramedic John McManus, 52, told the jury that he and colleagues battled to save Mr Ali's life after he went into cardiac arrest in the shop.

He was given CPR all the way to the hospital, but died from his injuries on 29 June 2012.

Lee Anderson, 31, denies murdering Mr Ali. He also denies attempting to pervert the course of justice and carrying a knife.

He has lodged special defences of alibi and incrimination.

The trial before judge Sean Murphy QC continues.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites