Glasgow & West Scotland

Georgina Smith jailed over Scott Blackwood torture death

Scott Blackwood Image copyright Other
Image caption Scott Blackwood's body was found inside a house in Saltcoats, North Ayrshire

A woman who was part of a gang which tortured and killed a vulnerable man has been jailed for 12 years.

Georgina Smith, 22, was found guilty of culpable homicide over the death of Scott Blackwood in July last year.

The 30-year-old was stabbed, beaten, strangled and tied to a bath before an attempt was made to set him on fire at a flat in Saltcoats, North Ayrshire.

Allan Nicol, 36, and Thomas Moore, 26, were jailed for life after being convicted of Mr Blackwood's murder.

They were each ordered to serve 20 years before being eligible for parole.

'Horrific assaults'

Jailing Smith for her part in Mr Blackwood's death, judge Lord McEwan told her: "You have been found guilty by the jury of the culpable homicide of Scott Blackwood, a litany of horrific assaults on this young man.

"In your evidence you said you loved him, well each man kills the thing he loves and that is what you have done."

Lord McEwan said that three victim impact statements from Mr Blackwood's family revealed that the consequences for them of his death had been "dire to put it mildly".

Smith showed no emotion as she was led away to begin her sentence.

During the trial, witness Sean Sinclair, 21, told the court how he went to Nicol's home on 3 July last year and discovered an already badly beaten Mr Blackwood.

He said Moore stood over Mr Blackwood armed with a metal pole which was covered in blood.

In a police interview, he went on: "Tommy hit Scott with the barbell. Alan started laying into Scott on the side of the legs.

"Georgie was shouting, 'Finish him, finish him'. Georgie just kept egging Tommy on."

The killers eventually dragged a dying Mr Blackwood to his own home because Nicol was "panicking" about the blood in his home.

Victim bound

Once there, the brutal assault continued as Smith hit the victim while Nicol held him up.

Sinclair added in the interview: "Scott could not stand, so he could have already been dead."

The witness recalled Mr Blackwood falling downstairs and Nicol claiming he had "deserved" it.

Mr Blackwood was then hauled back upstairs before being tied to a bath and his ankles bound together with a dog lead.

In the interview, Mr Sinclair told police: "Georgie then got a bottle of turps and when she came back, she poured it all over him.

"She tried to set him on fire using a lighter - but I stopped her because it was not happening."

The jury heard Moore again yelled that Mr Blackwood "deserved it" and that Smith "was agreeing".

The court heard that Mr Blackwood suffered 72 separate injuries, including scalds and chemical burns.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites