Glasgow & West Scotland

Killer Francis MacKenzie jailed for hammer murder bid

A convicted killer who was found guilty of attempted murder over a hammer attack on a dog walker has been given a lifelong restriction order.

Francis MacKenzie, 47, attacked Gerald Kenney, 48, in Tollcross Road, Glasgow on 12 June last year.

At the High Court in Edinburgh, he was told he must serve three years and nine months before he can apply for parole.

MacKenzie was jailed for 10 years for the culpable homicide of 27-year-old David Baxter in 2000.

Jailing him again, Lord Turnbull told MacKenzie: "You are an adult man with a lengthy history of criminal conduct which includes a number of convictions for assault.

Continuing supervision

"Of most significance in 2000 you were sentenced to 10 years for your responsibility in taking another man's life."

The judge said it was surprising that the victim in the latest offence did not die.

Lord Turnbull told MacKenzie that if he was freed by the parole authorities he would still be under continuing supervision.

The judge added: "I wish to stress to you this does not reflect the period which I think you should serve in custody.

"Whether you will ever be released from custody on licence and, if so, at what point will be a matter exclusively for the Parole Board of Scotland and not for the court."

MacKenzie was convicted following an earlier trial at the High Court in Glasgow.

The court heard that Mr Kenney was attacked from behind by three men as he walked his dog at 20:10 on 12 June.

Mr Kenney heard his attackers running towards him and turned to look.

He was immediately struck on the head by MacKenzie, who was wielding a hammer.

Head injuries

Mr Kenney fell to the ground unconscious and MacKenzie hit him another six or seven blows on the skull with the weapon.

He was also hit on the left arm with the hammer.

An eye witness said that he saw Mr Kenney's skull give way under the blows.

The incident was caught on CCTV and MacKenzie was identified from the footage.

Mr Kenney suffered life-threatening injuries including severe depressed skull fractures and broken bones in his face.

Doctors considered it too risky to operate to remove bone fragments from his brain.

Mr Kenney is said to be recovering and able to live independently, but he has no feeling on the right side of his head, face and mouth.

He lost five teeth in the attack and has to use a straw to drink and suffers daily headaches.

Francis MacKenzie claimed that he attacked Mr Kenney because he was part of a group that had assaulted him in 1999. This is denied by Mr Kenney.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites