Glasgow & West Scotland

Two men stand trial over 2004 murder of Martin Toner

Martin Toner Image copyright Police handout
Image caption Martin Toner's body was found in July 2004

Two men have gone on trial accused of murdering a man whose body was found in a field in Renfrewshire 11 years ago.

Douglas Fleming, 50, and John McDonald, 57, are accused of killing 34-year-old Martin Toner, whose body was found by a farmer near Langbank on 13 July 2004.

They deny stabbing Mr Toner and cut his throat on 29 June of that year.

The High Court in Glasgow heard that Mr Toner's body was found under a hedgerow in a field at North Glen Farm, Langbank.

The jury was told that a post-mortem examination carried out on Mr Toner, who was from Pollokshields in Glasgow, revealed that the cause of death was an incised wound to his neck and stab wounds to his chest.

False information claim

Both accused are alleged to have killed Mr Toner at the garden and grounds of the Coach House, at Gleddoch Estate, Langbank, on 29 June 2004 after inducing him to travel there from the Key to Life Gym in Pollokshields.

They also deny attempting to defeat the ends of justice between 29 June and 14 October 2004 by giving false information to Mr Toner's wife Michelle after she reported him missing.

It is further alleged that they gave false information to the police about the whereabouts of Mr Toner on 29 June 2004.

Both accused are also said to have falsely told Mrs Toner that her husband had his car key at the gym in Pollokshields that day.

The prosecution also claim the accused disposed of a bloodstained shirt allegedly worn by Mr Fleming, along with Mr Toner's mobile phone and his Berghaus bag.

Special defence

It is also alleged that they concealed Mr Toner's body at an unknown location in the garden and grounds of the Coach House and Gledoch Estate, Langbank, before moving it and dumping it in a field.

Mr Fleming, 50, of Inverness-shire, and Mr McDonald, of Bellahouston, Glasgow, deny murdering Mr Toner and the other charges against them.

Mr Fleming's QC Derek Ogg lodged a special defence of incrimination, naming six men.

Judge Lord Armstrong told the jury of seven men and eight women: "Somewhat unusually these events took place some time ago in 2004.

"The trial is expected to last around six weeks."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites