Glasgow & West Scotland

Margaret Gilchrist bath death FAI hears of scalding

Margaret Gilchrist Image copyright Spindrift
Image caption Margaret Gilchrist died in the bath of her home in Glasgow

A fatal accident inquiry (FAI) into the death of a vulnerable woman in a bath has heard that she was scalded in an earlier incident.

Margaret Gilchrist, 50, had severe learning difficulties from birth, was registered blind and had epilepsy.

She died at her home in Carntyne Road, Glasgow - where she was cared for full-time - on 26 September 2013.

The FAI at Glasgow Sheriff Court heard that her feet were scalded in a bath in the same house in November 1998.

Papers lodged at the inquiry state that Ms Gilchrist had been put in the bath and washed by her carer at about 18:30 on the night she died.

Left alone

The carer then left her alone for about an hour before finding her unresponsive in the bath.

The papers show that Ms Gilchrist had been scalded prior to her death.

The inquiry also heard about another scalding incident in 1998 when Ms Gilchrist was being looked after by another care worker, Georgina McDougall.

Mrs McDougall told the FAI that Ms Gilchrist had not previously got into the bath by herself.

The witness said that on the night Ms Gilchrist had been scalded, she had run a bath for her, turned off the water and checked the temperature with her hand.

She said she went into the kitchen and then heard a squeal.

Mrs McDougall said she returned to the bathroom and saw Ms Gilchrist standing in the bath with the water running.

The witness said she must have got into the bath by herself and kicked the hot tap lever on.

Mrs McDougall said after that incident she never left Ms Gilchrist alone in bath for more than 10 minutes.

The inquiry before sheriff Lindsay Wood continues.

Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites