Glasgow & West Scotland

Glasgow School of Art choir helps Mackintosh Campus Appeal

GSA choir inside the Mackintosh library
Image caption The choir recorded the new work in the Mackintosh library

A new choral work, inspired by the fire which damaged Glasgow School of Art's (GSA) Mackintosh building, has been recorded to help fund its restoration.

"Light Through Tall Windows" was recorded in the Mackintosh library by the GSA choir on Sunday.

It will be released next year to help pay for the restoration of the the Grade A-listed building whose upper floors were gutted by fire in 2014.

It will also fund a planned expansion of the art school's Garnethill campus.

"Light Through Tall Windows" is a collaborative work between two GSA alumni.

'Creative response'

The lyrics were penned by writer and broadcaster Muriel Gray while the music was composed by Jamie Sansbury, founder and musical director of the GSA Choir.

Image copyright Glasgow School of Art
Image caption A view of the mackintosh building before it was badly damaged by fire

Describing the work, Mr Sansbury said: "This piece is an attempt to set down, in a more tangible way, the joy the Mackintosh building instils in students and staff at the school, the enduring enlightenment it represents, and the impact that has upon them for the rest of their lives.

"The work is dedicated to the staff, students and alumni of the GSA.

"When we completed the piece we knew that we wanted the choir to premiere the work, and we hoped that it would be an important creative response to the fire, but it was only much later that the possibility of recording in the library itself - the very heart of the building - came about."

The work is now on pre-order with a release scheduled for early 2017.

All proceeds of sale will go directly to the Mackintosh Campus Appeal.

The art nouveau Mackintosh building was badly damaged by fire on 23 May 2014.

An investigation by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service concluded the blaze was caused by flammable gases from a canister of expanding foam.

The report said the gases ignited as they came into contact with the hot surface of a projector.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites