Glasgow & West Scotland

Accused 'unaware' of Mr Scotland bodybuilder stabbing

Michael O'Hanlon Image copyright Facebook
Image caption Michael O'Hanlon won the National Amateur Body Building Association Mr Scotland title in March 2016

A murder accused said he was not aware Mr Scotland bodybuilder champion Michael O'Hanlon had been stabbed until 15 minutes after he left him.

Steven Kirkwood, who denies murdering the 45 year old at HK Autotek garage in Stevenston on 25 July, was giving evidence at the High Court in Glasgow.

Mr Kirkwood said he had not confessed to killing Mr O'Hanlon, and he did not think he had struck him with a knife.

The 44 year old has lodged a special defence of self-defence.

The court had been told that Mr O'Hanlon, whose nickname was Musk, had gone to the garage with his friend Forbes Cowan to speak with Mr Kirkwood.

No blood

Prosecutor Richard Goddard said to Mr Kirkwood: "You claim after the incident at the garage you didn't notice the blood and didn't think Mr O'Hanlon had a scratch on him," and he agreed with that.

The court was previously told that Mr Kirkwood drove to his stepson Derek Kirkwood's shop in Paisley after leaving the garage.

In the shop at the time were his stepson and customer and friend Fraser Reid, 23.

Mr Goddard said: "Why then less than 45 minutes later did you tell Fraser Reid : 'I set about Musky. I stabbed him. I think I've killed him'."

'Breathing difficulties'

Mr Kirkwood replied: "I don't know what was said in the shop. I wouldn't have said I set about anybody. When I left the garage I didn't know what had happened.

"Musk was having breathing difficulties. I didn't think I had struck Musk with the knife."

Mr Kirkwood said: "I never attacked them. They attacked me so why should I tell Fraser Reid, someone I barely know, that I've just attacked him."

He added: "I didn't know until 15 minutes after I left the shop that Michael had been stabbed and I didn't know until 3.45pm in my lawyer's officer that he had died."

Mr Kirkwood claims he was acting in self defence after being attacked by the pair.

He told the jury that he had seen a knife on the floor while he was being pinned down. He said he had picked it up and swung it behind him.

Knife on floor

Mr Goddard said: "You stabbed a man, even on your own account, four times while he was unarmed."

Mr Kirkwood replied: "I couldn't see him. I couldn't see Forbes Cowan. All I know is they were attacking me.

"That knife wasn't on the floor when it first started. I saw the knife and panicked. It wasn't my knife.

"I didn't know he was unarmed and I didn't know I'd struck him with the knife in the first place."

Prosecutors allege that Kirkwood struggled with Mr O'Hanlon, punched him and repeatedly struck him on the body with a knife or similar item.

Mr Kirkwood also denies separate charges of having a knife in a public place and attempting to defeat the ends of justice by disposing of it.

The trial before judge Lady Rae continues.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites