Kayla MacDonald named as girl killed by logs in Argyll forest

Image source, Police Scotand
Image caption, Kayla MacDonald died after logs fell on her

A "precious and fun-loving" eight-year-old girl who died after logs fell on her in an Argyll forest has been named by police.

Kayla MacDonald, from Dunbeg, had become trapped by the logs near the village of Benderloch, north of Oban, at about 14:40 BST on Sunday.

Her family said Kayla was fluent in Gaelic and her smile would "light up a room".

A 12-year-old girl was also injured and is in a stable condition in hospital.

She was airlifted to Lorn and Islands Hospital in Oban but was then transferred to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow.

Kayla was pronounced dead at the scene.

Media caption, The incident happened near the village of Benderloch on Sunday afternoon

In a statement her family said: "Kayla was a precious fun loving eight-year-old who was loved by everyone around her. Kayla's smile would light up a room. She attended Rockfield's Gaelic Medium where she was fluent in Gaelic.

"Our wee girl loved music and dance as well as doing hair, nails and make up. Kayla has two younger brothers who, along with the rest of her family and friends, will miss her dearly."

A joint investigation between Police Scotland and the Health and Safety Executive will take place to establish the full circumstances surrounding the death, however, it is not being treated as suspicious.

The area where the incident happened is part of the Barcaldine Forest, where there has been logging activity recently.

Margaret Adams, convenor of the local community council, told BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme that the tragedy would have a "massive" impact on the community.

"Even if people don't know the child they will know the family, in a small community," she said.

"It really will have quite an affect on the locals."

Ms Adams said logging had been going on in the area for several months, with signs up warning of the dangers.

She added: "The signs make it very clear that they don't want people to go up because there will be heavy machinery and logs stacked."

Letters sent

Local resident Elaine Walton told BBC Scotland there had been plenty of warnings about forestry operations but it was possible to access the area by avoiding the fenced-off tracks.

"The Forestry (Commission) sent every household in the area a letter telling us the plans for the works, that the place would be sealed off and that there were other walks down at Sutherland's Grove," she said.

"But if you live in the area you know that there are little ways to get up on the hill if you want to and young people explore and find these ways."

A spokesman for Forest Enterprise Scotland said: "Our thoughts are with the family and their friends at this very difficult time and we offer them our deepest condolences.

"We will now focus on working with the site contractor, Tilhill Forestry, and the Health and Safety Executive as investigations into this tragic incident continue."