Glasgow & West Scotland

Bread choking claim in Glasgow child murder trial

A woman accused of killing her 14-month-old daughter told a police officer the toddler had choked on a piece of bread, a court has heard.

Sadia Ahmed, 27, from Glasgow, denies murdering Inaya Ahmed in Drumchapel, Glasgow, on 17 April 2016.

PC Ryan Bird told the High Court in Glasgow that he arrived at the house as paramedics rushed out with the girl.

He said he had searched the room, where Ms Ahmed had been feeding Inaya, and had not found even a crumb of bread.

Prosecutor Paul Kearney asked PC Bird: "You could hear shouting and screaming coming from inside the house, is that correct," and he replied: "Yes. Some of it was in English, but a lot was I think in Urdu.'

The officer told jurors that there were at least six to eight people in the house and the mother Ms Ahmed was pointed out to him.

'Eating disorder'

PC Bird said he spoke to her in the kitchen and initially got no response.

Mr Kearney asked: "What was her demeanour," and PC Bird replied: "Not much emotion at all."

He added: "She said along the lines of the baby has an eating disorder and she was trying to feed the baby.

"They usually feed her with syringes, however that day she tried to feed the baby bread but it wasn't eaten so she stuffed the bread down the baby's throat."

Earlier the court heard that Ms Ahmed's sister-in-law Shagufta had confessed to police that she had killed Inaya, but she was never charged with any offence.

When asked by defence QC Ian Duguid what he had noted in his notebook of the conversation with Ms Ahmed, PC Bird replied: "She said 'Feeding Inaya bread started choking. Hit on back, didn't work, Inaya passed out.'"

The officer said that Ms Ahmed then told him her brother-in-law Wacas Ahmed had dialled 999.

Sgt Kenneth Graham told the court that he arrived at the house in Drumchapel after the ambulance taking Inaya to hospital had left.

He added: "What struck me was how calm and collected she was. It was in stark contrast to other family members present."

'No chunks'

He told the jury that while he was in the house Inaya's father Suleman Ahmed arrived. Sgt Graham described him as "physically shaking."

He said Ms Ahmed never asked how her daughter was, but the child's father did.

Paramedic Islay McKee told the court there were no stains or vomit on the Inaya's clothing.

The paramedic said the child had no pulse and they performed CPR on her. She said her airways were clear and at one point in the ambulance she vomited.

Ms McKee added: "It appeared like thick milk. There were no chunks. It was a thick liquid."

Ms Ahmed denies all the charges against her.

The trial before judge Lord Matthews continues.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites