New offshore wind farms to be named after engineers


Three wind farms to be built off the Caithness coast are to be named after Scottish engineers, following an agreement to lease the seabed needed.

The projects will commemorate Glasgow-born lighthouse builder Robert Stevenson and Thomas Telford, from Westerkirk, near Langholm.

Dumbarton-born Sir Edward MacColl, a pioneer of hydro power in Scotland, will also be honoured.

A total of 200 turbines could be constructed in three clusters.

The developers have claimed that they could generate enough electricity for 750,000 homes - more than a conventional coal-burning power station.

The Crown Estate, which control the rights to the seabed, have signed a deal with the consortium Moray Offshore Renewables.

The joint venture is 75% owned by Portugal-based EDP Renewables with the other 25% owned by SeaEnergy Renewables, a firm with expertise from the offshore oil industry that is expected to be sold in the next few weeks by its Aberdeen parent company.

The next steps will be a long-term lease of the seabed sites and then commissioning and construction of the turbines and their platforms.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.