Highlands & Islands

Man injured in 'small explosion' in house in Inverness

Police at scene of explosion Image copyright BBC Alba
Image caption Police at the scene of the explosion

A man has been taken to hospital after he suffered burns in what firefighters have described as a possible "small explosion" in a house in Inverness.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) was alerted to the incident in Abban Street at 08:38.

Three appliances were sent to the scene and crews in breathing apparatus extinguished a small fire in a kitchen annexe.

Gas and electricity supplies to the property have been turned off.

Engineers from Scottish Gas Networks have been brought in to examine the supplies.

The injured man was taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness.

Image copyright BBC Alba
Image caption A kitchen annexe was damaged in the incident
Image copyright BBC alba
Image caption Gas and electricity supplies to the property have been shut off
Image copyright BBC alba
Image caption The incident in Abban Street closed nearby Lochalsh Road

The incident closed nearby Lochalsh Road to vehicles and pedestrians until about 11:00.

An SFRS spokesman said: "It would appear there was a small explosion at the property, the cause of which will be investigated.

"A male occupant sustained burn injuries and was placed in the care of paramedics before being taken to hospital for treatment."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites