Highlands & Islands

Warning of toxic fumes from fire in Inverness

Residents in an area of Inverness were urged to stay indoors due to potentially toxic fumes coming from a fire at a recycling centre.

Fire crews were called to the Longman Industrial Estate in the city's Henderson Drive at about 18:00.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service sent four appliances to deal with the incident.

Police had urged nearby residents to close all windows and doors and keep themselves and any pets inside.

The emergency services warned of smoke and potentially toxic fumes emanating from the fire in 150 tonnes of material.

A digger was used to tackle the blaze which was brought under control by midnight.

There have been no reports of injuries.