NE Scotland, Orkney & Shetland

Firm fined over Aberdeen electrical fire

Holburn Street incident
Image caption The incident happened on Aberdeen's Holburn Street in 2008

An Aberdeen building firm has been fined £9,000 and ordered to pay a workman £4,000 after he suffered burns in an electrical fire.

Joiner George Forbes, 62, was injured when his boiler suit went on fire while refurbishing flats on the city's Holburn Street in November 2008.

Graeme W Cheyne Ltd admitted a health and safety breach at Aberdeen Sheriff Court over the electrical explosion.

A twisted cable had caused a short circuit on a power supply unit.

HSE inspector Liz Standen said: "It's lucky Mr Forbes was not electrocuted or more seriously hurt when the cable blew up in his face in what was an entirely avoidable incident.

"It is extremely dangerous to make assumptions that electrical equipment is safe to work with."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites