Badly burnt Aberdeen boy Preston Flores dies in hospital
A seven-year-old boy who was seriously burned in Aberdeen has died in hospital.
Preston Flores suffered burns to much of his body in an incident in Bedford Avenue, believed to involve petrol.
His mother Louisza said the family's "precious little boy" had passed away.
"He meant the world to his family and will always be deeply missed and loved," she said. "Preston was a special little boy and his loss has ripped our family apart."
She added: "On behalf of our family I would like to thank everyone for their support but would ask that we are now allowed to grieve in peace for Preston."
Preston was taken to the Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital on Friday before later being transferred to the intensive therapy unit at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh.
Police said there was "no evidence of any deliberate act".
Eye witnesses reported seeing him running between two blocks of flats with flames covering much of his clothes.
The incident happened at about 14:00 on Friday.
Police said information from local residents that the incident may have involved petrol from a council van was "forming part of the investigation".
Det Insp Lorna Ferguson, of Police Scotland, said: "Our thoughts are with Preston's family, friends and the Bedford community at this sad time."
Michelle McKay, acting head teacher of Sunnybank School where Preston was a pupil, said: "Preston was a lively and competitive little boy who loved football, PE and all sorts of outdoor activities, as well as board games, baking and building with Lego.
"He was a fun-loving boy with a great sense of humour and lots of friends.
"He loved his family too, and was always sharing with us the latest news about his new baby brother.
"This is a tragic time for his family, for the school and for everyone connected to it. We are all so saddened by what has happened.
"This is a strong and close-knit community, however, and so we are all supporting each other and I am sure that, together, we will find ways of coming to terms with our loss."
Counselling is being made available to pupils, staff and parents.