Dumfries and Galloway Council
- The population of the council area stood at 148,600 in 2009 and the authority employs about 7,800 full and part-time workers
- The council's budget stands at about £380m.
- Dumfries and Galloway Council boasts that it has the lowest council tax in mainland Scotland, with the typical Band D rate coming in at £1,049.
- Nearly two years ago,local residents were askedwhat services they would cut in order to meet budget savings.
- There are 13 wards onDumfries and Galloway Council, electing 47 councillors.
- The council area is large and rural and its economy is based on agriculture, tourism, textiles, forestry and light engineering.
- The local authority's administrative base is in the market town of Dumfries.