Scottish Borders Council
- The population of the council area stood at 112,680 in 2009 and the authority employs about 5,600 full and part-time workers.
- The council's budget stands at about £266m.
- Scottish Borders Council'sheadquarters are based in the Borders town of Newtown St Boswells.
- The council has 11 wards, electing 34 councillors.
- Scottish Borders Council is consideringreviving the role of area committeesfor different parts of the region. Three of the five were scrapped in 2010 but they could now be reinstated as part of efforts to improve engagement with the community.
- Last month a new policy oncomposite classes at schoolsin the Scottish Borders were agreed by councillors. The authority said it was designed to provide a "consistent and transparent process" for primary schools.