South Ayrshire Council
- The population of the council area stood at 111,440 in 2009 and the authority employs about 5,200 full and part-time workers.
- The council's budget stands at about £265m.
- South Ayrshire Councilheadquarters are based in the seaside town of Ayr.
- The council has eight wards, electing 30 councillors.
- The South Ayrshire Council ward of Ayr North was highlighted as anarea where levels of poverty "were shameful". The Campaign to End Child Poverty claimed that 35% of children in the ward were living in poverty.
- The council area includes the towns of Troon, Girvan, Turnberry as well as Ayr.
- Almost two years ago, the area's saw a new £21m museum dedicated toScotland's national bardopened its doors to the public - the Robert Burns Birthplace Museum (RBBM) in Alloway, Ayrshire.
- Inside the local authority boundaries, golfers can play some of the best courses in Scotland, including the Open Championship courses of Royal Troon and Turnberry.
- Scotland's premier horse racing venue, Ayr Racecourse, is also based in the area.