South Scotland

Kelso racecourse seeks return to action

Racing
Image caption There has been no racing at the Borders track since November which has affected its finances

Kelso racecourse is hoping to return to action on Thursday after a "financially damaging" series of abandoned fixtures.

There has been no action at the Scottish Borders track since 21 November last year.

A total of four meetings have been lost, including the showpiece John Smith's Scottish Borders National.

Managing Director Richard Landale said the situation had been made "significantly worse" by a reduction in funding to racecourses.

The first meeting to fall foul to the weather was on 5 December when wintry conditions affected large parts of the region.

A re-arranged fixture between Christmas and Hogmanay was also cancelled.

More recently, frost led to the loss of events planned for 12 and 21 January.

A statement from the racecourse said it was going through one of the "toughest times" of its recent history.

It said the lost fixtures and reduction in funding via the betting levy meant "unique small courses" would struggle to "maintain buoyancy".

However, it is hoped there can be a boost to income with the track's pre-Cheltenham trials on Thursday.

A seven-race card gets under way at 1340 GMT.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites