Turner work donated to Walter Scott’s Abbotsford home
Two works by JMW Turner, painted during a visit to Sir Walter Scott's home in the Scottish Borders, are being donated to the property.
The postcard-sized watercolours, which feature Abbotsford and Newark Tower in Yarrow, were painted when the artist visited Scott at Abbotsford in 1831.
They were used to illustrate The Poetical Works of Scott in 1833.
A series of additional drawings by Turner are also thought to be beneath the mounts.
The paintings are being donated to The Abbotsford Trust and are due to go on display at the property in 2013.
They are being handed over by current owner Phoebe Barrow, who inherited them from her grandfather John Edward Allen.
The deal, made possible thanks to the Art Fund, is part of plans for a £13m redevelopment of Abbotsford, which will include the construction of a new visitor centre and the refurbishment of the house itself.
Lord Sanderson, chairman of the trust said: "We are obviously delighted that two such significant works have been donated to the trust and are extremely grateful to the Barrow family for this magnificent gift.
"The paintings have close links with Scott and the home that he loved so much, and also illustrate the links between two of the most important cultural figures in our history."
Stephen Deuchar, director of the Art Fund added: "These atmospheric watercolours capture the beauty of Abbotsford and echo the mystery and romance of Sit Walter Scott's writing.
"We're delighted to have helped facilitate Mrs Barrow's generous gift, which allows future generations to admire these precious works and appreciate their significance to this historic house."