Children rescued from Falkirk house fire

Image caption,
CJ's bedroom was severely damaged in the fire

Three children have escaped a blaze which broke out in the bedroom of their Falkirk home as they slept.

Central Scotland Fire and Rescue Service said the youngsters were saved by a smoke alarm which alerted their parents to the fire in the town's Braemar Crescent.

Investigations suggest the blaze, which broke out at about 0900 on Wednesday, was caused by a faulty night light.

The brigade said the incident highlighted the dangers of small fires.

The children's mother, Mary Surgenor, said the fire took hold in her five-year-old son CJ's bedroom.

She said when the smoke alarm sounded, she heard her son shouting that his room was on fire.

After snatching him from the room, she rescued her daughters Abigail and Betheney from an adjacent bedroom.

Falkirk fire station manager Joe Andrews said: "This incident illustrates the importance of having a working smoke alarm as it really did save these three children from serious injury.

"It also shows how quickly a fire can take hold.

"This family is very lucky and want to ensure that other people are aware of exactly how quickly and how easily fire can break out."

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.