Man 'misled police' over Dean Geary death

image captionJohn Ross is alleged to have told police that Dean Geary had been murdered

A cab driver has been charged with wasting police time after allegedly telling officers that a teenager killed in an accident had been murdered.

John Ross, 58, is accused of making false allegations over the death of Dean Geary, whose body was found on a road near Drymen in February.

Police initially treated the death as suspicious but later concluded it was the result of an accidental collision.

Mr Ross, from Bishopbriggs, spoke only to confirm his name during the hearing.

Stirling Sheriff Court heard that he faced a single charge of wasting police time and rendering the public liable to unjustified suspicion of murder as a result of his false claims.

The cab driver is accused of telling police in May that he had driven someone he believed to be Mr Geary, 19, along with two unidentified males, from Glasgow city centre to the Drymen area.

He is then alleged to have said to officers that one of the males had assaulted the teenager before the pair murdered him and then stole his mobile phone and wallet.

Mr Geary, from Alexandria, had been on a night out in Glasgow on the night before his death.

image captionDean Geary was found with head injuries by the side of the A811

He was last seen by his friends at a nightclub in the city's Queen Street at about 0100 GMT on 7 February.

The 19-year-old, a Ministry of Defence administrator who worked at Coulport on Loch Long, was found with head injuries by the side of the A811 a few hours later.

Police first thought he had been the victim of an assault and a team of detectives spoke to taxi drivers and members of the public to try and establish what happened in his final hours.

But after an extensive investigation, Central Scotland Police said Mr Geary had been hit by a car in an accident.

The force said the death was not suspicious and no charges were brought as a result of the incident.

However, detectives are still not certain why Mr Geary came to be walking along the road where he as killed.

Sheriff Wyllie Robertson agreed to a defence request for the case to be continued without plea for a period of five weeks, so police interviews could be studied.

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.