Tayside Police officer 'abused ex-wife'


UPDATE: On 14 October 2010, Sergeant Stephen Doogan was found not guilty of the four charges he had faced. Acquitting Mr Doogan, Sheriff Alistair Duff said that cases like this "are not straightforward". He told the court: "There has been little or no truly independent evidence of the allegations which lie behind these four charges."

A police officer's ex-wife has told a court her husband abused her over a period of six years.

Sergeant Stephen Doogan, 48, a leading officer with Tayside Police, faces four charges of assaulting his former wife, Donna.

Mrs Doogan told Dundee Sheriff Court her former husband attacked her four times between June 2002 and June 2004.

Sgt Doogan, whose address was given as care of Tayside Police, denies the charges.

He is currently suspended from his post at the force - where his role included organising identity parades - pending the outcome of the trial.

'Threw me outside'

Giving her evidence before Sheriff Alistair Duff, Mrs Doogan said on the first occasion, at the family home in the west end of Dundee, her husband slammed a door against her head, leaving her with an "egg-size lump" on her forehead.

The nurse at Roxburgh House in Dundee also told how Doogan, on a separate occasion in 2006, assaulted her by seizing her, dragging her from a bed, down the stairs and into the garden.

She said: "He threw me outside in my nightclothes and locked the door. It was winter and very cold. My eldest son had to come and let me in."

The third charge alleges that during 2007, he assaulted her by repeatedly punching and kicking her on the head and body - also at the family home.

The most recent attack, on 10 May 2008, took place several months after the couple, who were married for 19 years with three children, had separated.

Mrs Doogan said she had gone to collect her youngest son from the serving police officer, when he attacked her outside Harris Academy in Dundee.

Police statement

She said he became angry when she refused to discuss the separation, and he tried to let the air out of one of the car tyres.

"He started to come towards me and I started to run. He then chased me and caught me, and forced me to the ground," Mrs Doogan said.

"I was on my back and there was a struggled for my car keys. He was hurting my wrist and I was very frightened."

She said she broke free after Sgt Doogan threw the keys into the grounds of Harris Academy.

"I saw a car at the end of the lay-by and a chap inside was signalling to me to get inside. I was quite distressed and the chap asked who that man was, and I said it was my husband."

She was taken to a nearby police station where she made a statement.

The trial continues.

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.