Stirling family plea over father's death after robbery

image captionJohn Gillespie died six days after being attacked

The family of an 88-year-old man who died after being attacked in a Stirling underpass has appealed to anyone with information to come forward.

John Gillespie died six days after being found injured near Lover's Walk, in the Riverside area, on 19 April.

His son, also called John, said someone would have information about the attack that would help police.

"I would simply ask they think about our loss and have it within themselves to come forward," he said.

Central Scotland Police said Mr Gillespie had been approached by a man who tried to rob him, resulting in the 88-year-old being pushed to the ground and injured.

The force believes the attack may be linked to another robbery of a 70-year-old woman on the same day in Callander.

Mr Gillespie Jr said: "It's been a month since my dad died and I cannot put into words the impact his loss has had on our family.

"We know that someone out there has information which could assist the police in tracing the person responsible for the assault."

He said the family had been overwhelmed by the support from friends and the wider community following his father's death.

"My dad was a well-loved man and well-known to the local community," he said.

"I know that local business people have come forward and donated money towards a reward for information which leads to a conviction.

image captionMr Gillespie served in the Royal Navy as a young man

"On behalf of my family, I would thank them for their kindness and hope that someone comes forward with the piece of information the police require."

Police have described the suspect as aged between 21 and 40, about 6ft tall, of slim build. He had short, dark hair and was wearing a blue jumper and dark trousers.

Mr Gillespie Sr served in the Royal Navy, seeing active duty in the English Channel on minesweepers, the Normandy Landings and on HMS Howe in the Atlantic.

Det Ins Ronnie Isles, who is leading the inquiry, said the investigation remained "active and ongoing".

"We have been encouraged by the response from the public so far, which, along with our own inquiries, has helped take us forward," he said.

"We are still keen to hear from anyone who might have information."

More on this story

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.