Dog survives Dundee blaze rescue drama
A dog has survived more than six hours in a burning Dundee tenement after firefighters rescued 15 people.
Tayside Fire and Rescue said they managed to bring the blaze in Garland Place under control - but operations had been hampered by water supplies.
Two residents were treated for the effects of breathing in smoke and a firefighter suffered a minor injury.
Molly the border terrier was rescued when firefighters discovered her while completing final checks.
Watch manager Blair Fletcher, of Tayside Fire and Rescue, said: "I've never, ever heard anything like this before. It's quite incredible. It has endured over six hours in there and still survived."
Molly was treated for smoke inhalation at a local veterinary practice and is said to be in a stable condition.
People in adjoining tenements were taken to rest centres or went to stay with friends and family after the fire broke out.
The flames were said to have been brought under control by about 06:30 on Thursday.
The brigade said the building was "well alight" when crews arrived on the scene, with several residents who were trapped on upper floors needing to be rescued from their smoke-filled flats.
A spokesman said: "Rescue operations therefore quickly swung into action and using a combination of ladders and two aerial appliances, 15 residents of the affected block were swiftly rescued from their flats by firefighters.
"Firefighting and rescue operations have been hampered by inadequate water supplies and the layout and traditional construction of the tenement block has made firefighting and rescue operations even more challenging for firefighters."
He said that 50 firefighters along with seven fire engines, two aerial appliances and various support units from across Tayside had been deployed at the incident.
After residents had been successfully rescued, the crews had focused on containing the fire to the affected tenement block.
Chief Inspector Sandy Brodie of Tayside Police said it was not yet known what caused the blaze.
He said: "This was very much a co-ordinated team approach with staff from all three emergency services, Dundee City Council, Red Cross and Salvation Army involved. All those involved worked tirelessly throughout the night to ensure the safety of the public and protect property as far as reasonably practicable.
"The cordon will remain on until such times as investigations are complete and it is deemed safe for members of the public to return to the area. I would like to take this opportunity in advance to thank members of the public for their patience during this period.
"At the moment we will retain an open mind about the potential cause of the fire. As in every case of a fire of this nature a joint investigation will take place to try and establish how the fire started".