Tayside and Central Scotland

Legionella alert in Dundee community centre showers

Potentially deadly legionella bacteria have been found in showers at a community centre in Dundee.

The bug, which can cause Legionnaires' disease, was found by routine testing at Menzieshill Community Centre about two weeks ago.

Dundee City Council said there are no "public health issues" and that the shower area had been closed and the water system thoroughly treated.

Earlier this year three people died in a legionella outbreak in Edinburgh.

The Menzieshill Community Centre has remained open to the public. It provides youth drop-in services, adult learning groups and exercise classes.

A council spokesman said: "As a result of routine water sampling, Dundee City Council can confirm that legionella bacteria have been found in the shower heads at Menzieshill Community Centre.

"The city council follows a rigorous health and safety regime which includes regular testing for legionella bacteria. Officials from NHS Tayside's health protection team are fully aware of the circumstances and actions taken by the council. In their view, there are no public health issues."

NHS Tayside said it had received no reports of anyone falling ill.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites