Tayside and Central Scotland

John Etchells jailed for 'Facebook' stabbing

A man has been jailed for stabbing another man who posted details of his wounds on Facebook.

John Etchells punctured Darren Jamieson's kidney in the attack at a flat in Dundee in April.

Moments after the stabbing Mr Jamieson took to Facebook, writing, "Just got stab [sic], gushing of blood."

Dundee Sheriff Court heard Etchells was on six bail orders at the time of the stabbing. He was jailed for 47 months.

During the hearing it emerged that Etchells had walked free from court on 23 April, just 48 hours before he stabbed Mr Jamieson.

The court heard he was freed despite having 10 previous convictions in just over two years for breaching bail, and other offences committed while on bail.

He had been granted bail on 8 March, 10 March, twice on 18 March, 28 March and on 23 April.

It also emerged that one of the bail orders was for another knife attack, for which he received a two-year jail term.

Fiscal depute Nicola Gillespie told Dundee Sheriff Court: "They were drinking together at a flat and an argument ensued and Mr Etchells invited Mr Jamieson outside to fight.

"Mr Etchells was seen by another witness to take a black handled kitchen knife from the kitchen and hide it up his sleeve.

"He pushed passed the complainer and said 'I'll just stab you then' before stabbing him on the left side of his abdomen.

"He then ran away and the knife was later found nearby."

'Dangerous young man'

Mr Jamieson went on Facebook just three minutes after dialling 999, writing that he had been stabbed.

A friend then posted a message asking who had carried out the attack.

Mr Jamieson replied: "John Etchalls [sic]".

Following the stabbing, Mr Jamieson was treated at Ninewells Hospital for a week and now has a permanent scar.

Etchells, 19, a prisoner at HMP YOI Polmont, pleaded guilty on indictment to a charge of assaulting Darren Jamieson to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement by stabbing him with a knife on 25 April at a flat in Dundee's Lulworth Court.

Sheriff Richard Davidson jailed Etchells for 47 months and told him: "You are a dangerous young man.

"But for medical intervention your victim may have bled to death.

"You committed this offence while you were on bail - including one order for a similar offence."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites