Tayside and Central Scotland

Warning after charging laptop sparks Falkirk house fire

The fire service has issued a warning after a laptop left charging unattended sparked a house fire in Falkirk.

Crews were called to Gairdock Drive in Carronshore at 12:40 on Tuesday after the fire broke out in a bedroom.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose jet to extinguish the "well developed" fire, which caused "extensive damage" to the house.

Watch manager Mike Fitches said the laptop had been left charging while no-one was home and had overheated.

He said: "The fire has caused extensive damage to the bedroom and some damage to the first floor.

"Thankfully no-one was home at the time of the fire and we were alerted by workmen who were outside another house in the area.

"This incident had the potential to be even more serious, and we can't stress enough how important it is to unplug any chargers before you go out."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites