Tayside and Central Scotland

Man who killed father to be detained in psychiatric hospital

Image caption Derek Main will be detained at the high security State Hospital at Carstairs

A man who killed his father by attacking him with a pair of scissors has been ordered to be detained in a psychiatric hospital.

Derek Main stabbed Andrew Main, 57, in the neck before telling a 999 operator that his father had "gone awol" and started hitting himself.

Main, 37, of Stenhousemuir, was originally charged with murder.

Prosecutors accepted his plea of culpable homicide on the basis of diminished responsibility.

Psychiatrists agreed that his behaviour was substantially impaired because of "abnormality of mind" at the time of the killing.

Main admitted assaulting his father by repeatedly punching, kicking and striking him on the head and body and killing him with a pair of scissors on 7 July, 2014 at Corrie Avenue, Stenhousemuir.

Following psychiatric evidence at the High Court in Edinburgh, judge Lord Ericht said that he was satisfied a compulsion order and a restriction order should be made in the case.

The judge said this was particularly because of the issue of public protection.

Blood on hands

Main will at least initially be held at the high-security State Hospital at Carstairs.

He will be held there under an order requiring the Scottish government to agree any future release.

The court heard that prior to the killing, Main had been at his father's home where he was drinking.

Mr Main Sr returned home after a night out in Falkirk town centre.

He later contacted a taxi firm to take him to The Valley area of Stenhousemuir, where his son lived.

Eight minutes later, a further call was made by the son asking for a taxi or an ambulance to attend.

Advocate depute Angela Gray said: "During that eight-minute window, between the two calls to the taxi company, we can deduce that the fatal attack on the deceased took place."

Neck wound

After the taxi arrived, the driver saw Main had blood on his hands and clothing and told him to get out of the vehicle.

Main then phoned the emergency services asking for an ambulance and told the operator: "My dad's gone awol, he said he didn't want to live so he started hitting himself.

"I think he's dying, can you hurry up, he's dying."

Police arrived at the address and found Mr Main Sr lying on the living room floor, heavily bloodstained, with a stab wound to the neck.

The court heard that, after the fatal attack, Main was considered to be fit to plead. But following further psychiatric assessment, it was decided he was not fit for trial last year.

He was sent to the State Hospital at Carstairs and was found to be suffering from psychotic symptoms, including hallucinations and delusions.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites