Tayside and Central Scotland

Post-mortem reveals cat poisoned by antifreeze

A female cat which died after being found in distress in Dundee had been poisoned with antifreeze, the Scottish SPCA has confirmed.

Sox was discovered under a car in the city's Kirkton area in March making unusual noises and suffering from hypothermia.

Her owner took Sox to the vet but the cat died the following day.

A post-mortem examination by the animal welfare charity revealed that the three-year-old cat had been poisoned.

'Suffered significantly'

Scottish SPCA inspector Robert Baldie said the charity was aware of a number of potential cat poisonings in the area over the past few months.

He said: "The owner in this circumstance reacted in the right way by taking Sox directly to the vet.

"Unfortunately, Sox had already suffered significantly and was in a coma with hypothermia before she then sadly passed away.

"We had suspected poisoning was the cause of Sox' condition and now the results of the post-mortem confirm it was antifreeze.

"It is essential that everyone stores antifreeze out of reach of cats and other animals as it can have devastating effects, as can be seen by the sad outcome of this incident."

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites